Saturday, September 26, 2009

16 Tons by The Platter

Some people say a man is made outta mud
A poor man's made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen tons of number nine coa
lAnd the straw boss said "Well, a-bless my soul"

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

I was born one mornin', it was drizzlin' rain
Fightin' and trouble are my middle name
I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
Cain't no-a high-toned woman make me walk the line

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

If you see me comin', better step aside
A lotta men didn't, a lotta men died
One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't a-get you
Then the left one will

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store


I love the line: I Owe My Soul To The Company Store. Working hard your entire lifetime and pouring your life into a task and "...what do you get,Another day older and deeper in debt..."
Why i like the lyrics are because they are reflective of the condition that the working class world over exists in.
I am a rebel. My soul rebels against the idea of treating one man better than the next, against the idea of lack -of food, of homes, of peace. As we all do superficially get accustomed to the hierarchy and the pitiful state of our world, deep down we are not okay with it. We are humans. Humanity makes us so. Far as we are from our hearts; somewhere, we all want to go back. We all want to go back to our childhoods where the possibility of a peaceful world was real and not just a hippie fantasy. We all cringe at the disfigured beggar, it isn't a sight we want to see. In our hearts, we want to see a happy, healthy man. Having moved so far off from our hearts, we think that we will find joy in our success and our rival's failure. We will not. We have just forgotten how much we truly love our neighbours and everyone around us. We do not have to try and love them, we already do-that is what made us human.
Life, as we know now, is just a process of realizing how beautiful we are. If better, then staying as beautiful as we always were.
Today's world is Wrong. It isn't right, this isn't how we are supposed to live. There is that One Beautiful Way-the way the world was originally supposed to be. I want that world to be a reality. Heaven? A heaven for all human beings to live in - the way each one chooses. I want to create that world into a reality.

No comments: